Why Directors Are Bastards

Posted by SOTTO Monday, December 17, 2012

I've been going through the footage we shot last week for my short film. Overall I'm thrilled. Lovely photography, two thrilling performances from our two actors. And we came in on time and under budget.

But, you know, there are a couple of things I wish we might have done differently...

...two things I had misgivings about during the shoot, and didn't kick and scream enough about, because we did not have a lot of spare time, and I was focusing on what I was focusing on, and I'd already mentioned the issues a few times.

Now, of course, I wish I'd kicked and screamed a bit more.

And it's my fault, as the director, for not making those things priorities.

Thing is, if you a decent, reasonable person, you have learned not to throw a tantrum when you don't get your own way. You are used to compromising.

It's something you have to unlearn to some extent as a director. No, I want it the way I want it, damn it!

Of course many directors are famous for being uncompromising asshats. They kick and scream and throw tantrums. Just because, as a director, you can be a jerk, doesn't mean you should be a jerk.

But, at the same time, you have to learn to be a bit of a jerk. Because no one is going to be a jerk for you. 

0 comments

Post a Comment

bookmark
bookmark
bookmark
bookmark
bookmark

Blogger news